Sunday, July 26, 2009

Half-Way Through Day 1

Breakfast:
I started the day with a 2-block meal and found it to be pretty darn filling. I had two eggs, 6 almonds, and then came the tricky part...carbs. In order to get two blocks of carbs, I had to eat...and eat...and eat. We were a little low on fruit so I had half a peach and then ate a TON of okra to make up the rest. I think I was eating for like 30 minutes. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to find that a 2-block meal was more substantial than I thought.

Snack:
At about 10:30am, I decided it was snack time. Really, I wanted it to be lunch time, but we still had not gone grocery shopping and I was pretty much out of carbs. I made this one a 1-block meal and had 1oz turkey, a block's worth of safflower mayonaise, and a tomato.

Three seconds later:
Okay, so maybe it was an hour...but fairly soon after my 1-block snack, I was starving. I was feeding Campbell and wanted sooo badly to steal her food! (note to self, either have a 2-block snack or eat lunch about an hour after snack).

Lunch:
We went grocery shopping and I stocked up on about 18 varities of fruit (mmmm....!) For lunch I went with another 2-block meal and helped myself to 2 oz of turkey, some spinach, olive oil, and tomatoes. I still had some more carb eating to do so I added some cherries and blackberries and was once again surprisingly full! I was also happy to say that, with the scale sitting on the counter, it really was not too difficult to create a mixture of carbs to make up the 2-blocks. I also heavily used www.nutritiondata.com to make sure I was measuring things accurately.

So far, so good!

4 comments:

  1. We are plugging away at the block thing as well, making changes when they are needed. I got some different yogurt than the Fage (could not get through the taste) called Chiobani. We bought one of those stick hand blenders and used it to mix the fruit in....actually not that bad. Add some crushed almonds and it made a good snack. I have some blueberry and peach in the freezer... can't wait to try.

    I am still having a bit of trouble with the lack of protein. That is my biggest problem. Publix has Ranier cherries on sale this week, and we are headed to get some more. Good luck everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy W: I attempted 2 blocks to match Katherine this morning but also found myself really hungry the rest of the day... so I'm going to stick with 3 blocks in the morning.
    I try not to let 5 hours go by without eating something (either a 1 block snack or 3 block meal).
    I'm scrounging for proteins and carbs too (end of the month pantry diving!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. 11 blocks seemed to work out great for me today...and that is with burning some calories via a KLowe style workout in our backyard. I never felt extremely hungry...until maybe a little now (it's almost midnight). Maybe if I went to sleep earlier, it wouldn't be a problem :o) I couldn't find Fego yogurt at the Publix by our house. I tried Cabot brand greek yogurt. It was like eating a huge blob of soured sour cream. I did like it with blueberries though! I have all of my meals packed up and ready for my 12 hr work day tomorrow! I'm so proud of myself for preparing my meal the night before...I rarely do that!

    ReplyDelete