Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Day Four:

The Workout:

I was feeling a little hungry today (who...me?) and felt a bit nervous about attempting a long run in a lot of heat after a measly 5 blocks (throughout the day). On top of that, I honestly have been feeling a little sick from all the fruit! Anyway, I decided that if I waited till the 430 class to run, I would have made it mentally impossible so I pulled the car over at 130 and decided to just do it (and then shower and return to work). I have to say that as much as it sucked (and it alllllways sucks), I did feel lighter and faster. I beat my old PR for the 5K by 22 seconds (not a ton but not bad) and ended up at 28:05. I would have liked to have beaten 28 minutes and I would like to think that maybe one more block of food could have helped :) but really I have to say that the Zone might actually be working. My Clean and Jerk workout last night also felt terrible but went pretty fast. I still think I am going to add a block and at least go up to 11 but maybe this caloric restriction is helping me!

To Weigh or Not to Weigh....

One thing I failed to mention at the info session is whether or not we should be weighing. I go back and forth on this...weighing in itself is not so terrible, as long as its not your only measuring stick. You could technically gain weight on this diet because you are still actively participating in CrossFit and building muscle...but you might LOOK leaner, better, "skinnier". So...if you want to weigh occassionally, go ahead...just don't make losing weight your primary goal. Let's try to be stronger and faster...and if our pants end up fitting better too...well, that is just an added bonus :)

Hang in there! If anyone is starving and feeling weak or losing performance, let me know and we will go ahead and adjust you tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. I'm feeling weak but mainly because I used to be stronger. I'm glad I'm not also eating like a crazy person, I'd be a paraplegic. :)

    Please don't threaten to adjust me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So we're keeping it real... right?

    The good news: For those of you who don't know, I've been following the zone for about 7 or 8 weeks now... paleo most of the time (probably at the 80/20 point). GREAT results... I've reached the point where clothes are noticeably looser and I feel confident and comfortable making balanced 'clean' food choices.

    Until today. (The Bad News)... a combination of two 'eating' meetings (free lunch and after-hours finger foods) created a spectacular crash and burn.

    But, the bright side is that where as before I would have totally devoured the entire bowl of chips and spinach dip... I kept it to about 8 chips (wasn't counting, but thinking back). I think the best part of embracing the zone/paleo is how aware I have become of what I am eating... so even "falling off the wagon" doesn't hurt as much as it used to. Unfortunately, Lesha and Kerri can attest to my two helpings of chess pie at lunch...

    Here's my encouragement piece... We are making a lot of changes... some less food, some cutting out lifestyle staples, some resisting free food... and it is hard to do it all at once (on top of working out and tearing through calories with a 10k!!). Mistakes will probably happen and making this a true lifestyle change-a 'paradigm shift'- will take time and, should you falter, the strength to forgive yourself and jump back onboard. After 30 days of trying this you will be amazed at the different way you view food and eating!!

    So today I made poor choices... but when I think back to the week... it's one day in a week of good eating and I'm looking forward to returning to my new 'normal' habits tomorrow. (and also, maybe I'll get some sleep after the sugar gets through my system- note time stamp :)
    Mandy W

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm feeling pretty good about wrapping up the week. It has been an adjustment but intuitively I know it is for my best. I have had hunger and now I am getting to the "I must have veggies" stage b/c of too much fruit. I still crave chocolate and other things but like Mandy said, it's a "paradigm shift" and all in all I am happy when I look back on my week. There is still so much to learn and I think next week may be the time to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment Mandy! This is exactly what this challenge is all about. This 30 days is like a cleansing period and at the end, you will be more aware of your body and how it reacts to what you eat. Just remember not to be a "cheater" until AFTER thirty days of pure Zone. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete