Sunday, August 9, 2009

Zone Dinner (kind of)

Last night, Russell and I went to 801 Franklin with some fellow CrossFitters and I attempted to follow my Zone diet. I found that it is fairly difficult to eat in the correct proportions when eating at a "nice" restaurant. I say this because I can pretty much find something to eat at Panera, Jason's Deli, places like that...(turkey, fruit cups, avocados)...but getting enough of the right carbohydrates at a "fancy" restaurant was harder than I thought.

Here are some examples of carbs featured on the menu:
potatoes (new potatoes, mashed potatoes)
pommes frites (french fries)
rice pilaf
grits
tortillas

I was surprised to find that there were no sweet potatoes...and the portions of vegetables included in the entrees would probably amount to 1/4 of a block.

So, after about fifteen minutes of staring at the menu and consulting with Russell, I ordered salmon and found it to be about the right amount for my 4 block meal. I added two glasses of wine and a couple bites of pommes frites (pretty unfavorable but I DID need some carbs)...then added the grapes off of a cheese platter. For fat, I snuck some almonds from my purse and assumed that the salmon was cooked in butter.

All in all, this was not my best Zone meal but relaxing a little made the evening more fun and I think that is just as important as having a "perfect" meal.

You may be asking yourself, "Did she cheat?" and the answer is "probably". But I didn't set out to blow it out of the water. I didn't save all 4 carb blocks for wine. I didn't touch the bread basket, and after joking with the waiter about ordering the chocolate torte, I found that they were out (probably a good thing!). So all in all, I still feel pretty good about night 14 of the Zone Challenge.

For those of you who have had a similar experience, you are still doing well! Hang in there!

1 comment:

  1. Katherine,
    Robb and I went to Fishbone and it was really tough to get enough good carbs--of course the carbs like bread, baked potato, etc. were readily available. I did what you did--I just tried to make good choices and enjoyed myself. I don't think I could call it a "zone" meal but if I had not been on the challenge I know I would have had different and less healthy choices. Hey, this is real life, right? We can't always live in the zone bubble but I think I am learning a lot from it.

    ReplyDelete